Located within a newly-renovated hotel (c. 1913) in downtown Memphis, Catherine & Mary’s is the fourth restaurant for two James Beard nominated Best Chefs of the Southeast. The hotel has been renovated into a highly successful mixed-use project with ground-floor commercial space and 161 apartments above.
The renovation of the centuries-old space required special care in order keep as much character of the historic structure as possible. Uncovered in the space were many original features: stained glass, terrazzo flooring, brickwork, ceiling and column details. The goal was to peel away the years of layers and preserve the charm of the hotel while blending the Tuscan and Sicilian styles of the client’s heritage. A few new details, the Italian tile on the bar and sea of dancing lights, add a bit of impact in the neutralized space, letting the architecture shine.